This vegan Chocolate Cranberry Flapjack couldn’t be a more perfect sweet treat with its rich burnt caramel flavour, tangy cranberries and chewy-yet-crumbly texture.
Sometimes I find the best discoveries are the ones that happen spontaneously. This chocolate cranberry flapjack was born on one of those evenings when you just fancy something sweet but know that plain chocolate and dried cranberries alone aren’t going to cut it.
I mixed the dark chocolate and cranberries with oats and coconut oil along with a few tablespoons of ground chia seeds, a great vegan source of omega 3, for a nutritional boost. To give the cranberry chocolate flapjack a little sweetness, I added yacon syrup but if you’d prefer this can be swapped out for a little molasses (a more readily available and affordable option) and you’d still get the same rich treacle flavour.
As well as the flavour, yacon is an ideal sweetener as it is a slow release energy source so it won’t cause blood sugar spikes like some sweeteners – making it perfect to keep in your desk drawer for an afternoon pick-me-up or to take out and about when you need a vegan snack.
I’d highly recommend eating at least a little bit of the chocolate cranberry flapjack when it’s still hot out of the oven though, while the chocolate is still gooey and melted!
- 100g coconut oil
- 150g rolled oats
- 4tbsp yacon syrup (can be subbed for 3tbsp molasses)
- 3tbsp ground chia seeds
- 25g whole dried cranberries
- 25g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Preheat the oven at 180°C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease an ovenproof dish with a little coconut oil.
- Gently melt the coconut oil, either in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Add the other ingredients into the bowl. Mix thoroughly until all of the dry ingredients are coated.
- Add the mixture to the ovenproof dish and press firmly to create an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until it is golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Looking for more vegan flapjack recipes? Why not try this cranberry chia flapjack recipe too!?