I have a new favourite dessert that I’d like to share with you all: as you might have guessed, it’s this Easy Vegan Mint Chocolate Mousse. As the name suggests it is very easy to make and, as a result, I have been making it a lot. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free and full of vitamins, just like all healthy desserts should be.
All it takes to whip up a batch is setting up the chocolate in a bain-marie (that’s a fancy way of saying a bowl over a pan of hot water) ready to melt and in the meantime blending the other ingredients together in a Vitamix (as I used) or any high powdered food processor. Once you have a thoroughly blended date-avocado mix and creamy melted chocolate, you fold one into the other and the job’s done. I don’t technically even need to write a method now, that’s how simple this recipe is. It’s not too heavy on the washing up front either since you will definitely want to scrape off every last bit from the mixing bowl.
I’ve made this vegan mint chocolate mousse using both 85% and 90% cocoa chocolate (both made by Lindt) and would say both worked equally as well. If you’re not a huge dark chocolate fan, then you might want to lower it to 70% or up the maple syrup. On the other hand, if you’re a big dark chocolate fan, it’s also exceptionally good minus the maple syrup. This might reveal quite how many times I’ve made this but it’s worth adding, it is great as a straight chocolate mousse without any mint too!
- 50g 85% cocoa dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 12 dates
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped, peel and stone removed
- ½tsp maple syrup (optional)
- ¼tsp mint extract
- Add the chocolate to a large heat-proof mixing bowl and place over a pan of hot water on the hob. Stir frequently until the chocolate is smooth and fully melted.
- As the chocolate is melting, add the dates, avocado, maple syrup and mint extract to a Vitamix or high powdered food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Carefully remove the bowl of chocolate from the pan and spoon in the avocado mix. Using a spatula, gently fold in until it is fully combined but still light and airy.
- Scoop the mixture into small serving bowl and enjoy slightly warm or chill to eat cold.
Have you tried avocado in a dessert before?