There’s nothing better for making sure your day gets off to a good start than having a stash of something simple for breakfast that you’ll actually want to eat, just like these banana & oat breakfast biscuits. They’re the ideal grab and go breakfast and will last all week in a sealed container – if you can resist eating them in one go, that is.
I’m by no means the first one to make banana & oat breakfast biscuits (or cookies, if you’re stateside!), but they’re always worth revisiting and refining. It takes no more than fifteen minutes to whip them up so it’s exceptionally easy to make a batch for the week ahead; though, if I’m honest, I haven’t managed to make any last that long yet!
To make my banana & oat breakfast biscuits I used Flahavan’s fab multi seed oats, but naturally you can mix the two together for yourself and I’ve added both options into the recipe. Each one is topped with a nut, but you could skip this step if you’d prefer or can’t eat nuts. For a gluten-free version, simply swap the oats for gluten-free oats.
The banana & oat breakfast biscuits are a very versatile option too; when I retested this recipe I split the batter into three batches and added the following:
- Cacao nibs
- Chopped pecan and coconut flakes
- Chopped almonds and goji berries
- 2 ripe bananas
- 180g Flahavans multi seed porridge oats (or use 150g oats with 30g mixed seeds)
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup (optional)
- 7 whole almonds
- 7 pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400 F / gas mark 6
- Cover a large baking tray with greaseproof paper or a baking tray liner
- Mash or blend the bananas until smooth.
- Mix in the oat and seed mix along with the maple or agave syrup (if using) and any desired extras.
- Roughly roll into around fourteen small balls (about the size of a golf ball). Place onto the greaseproof paper and press each one gently with your thumb. Add one of the nuts into the groove createf by your thumb.
- Bake in the over for around 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden and firm.
- Move onto a cooling rack. Once cool, store in an airtight container.
As you might be aware, this month marks two years of The Tofu Diaries and I’m running a whole host of blog giveaways this month. For the third giveaway, I’m offering one reader the chance to win a bundle of tasty goodies from Flahavan’s.
Win a Flahavan’s #BetterYourBreakfast Bundle
The #BetterYourBreakfast bundle includes:
Flahavan’s new Multi Seed oats
Flahavan’s organic oats
Flahavan’s the original oats
A #BetterYourBreakfast mug
Never entered a Rafflecopter giveaway before?Find out how to enter here. Open to UK residents only – for full T&Cs, see the Rafflecopter. Closes midnight 27/02/2016.