The smokiness from the tofu bacon works so well with the Brussels sprouts. For this recipe, I used the same pan to firstly crisp up the tofu bacon bits and then pan-fry red onion and parboiled Brussels sprouts; this allowed the vegetables to take on more of the smoked paprika flavour for an all round full-flavoured vegan side dish.
To be able to keep the sprouts whole for this recipe, I parboiled them for a few minutes so they were soft enough to pan-fry but not so soft they had gone mushy or bitter. It’s best to keep a close eye on them when parboiling so you don’t go too far as Brussels sprouts can cook surprisingly quickly.
Notes: This recipe requires small cubes of marinated tofu bacon. You can find the tofu bacon recipe here (follow step one only) but will only need one quarter of the quantity. You can however easily use 100g of tofu and the same quantities of marinade, setting aside any excess marinade for another recipe or to freeze for next time.
- 200g Brussels sprouts, cleaned
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g uncooked tofu bacon (for details and recipe link see notes above), cut into small 1cm cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, lower the heat slightly and add the sprouts to the pan. Boil for around 3-4 minutes until they have softened slightly. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a frying pan. Heat over a medium high heat then add the cubes of marinated tofu. Cook for around 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cubes are crispy on all edges. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the same pan (no need to wash), then add in the red onion. Cook for around 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until it has begun to soften.
- Add the par-boiled Brussels sprouts to the pan with the onions and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Now add in the cubes of tofu bacon, mix well and cook for another minute or so.
- Season if desired and serve!
What’s your favourite way of cooking Brussels sprouts?